Financial Beginnings USA (FBUSA) is a national nonprofit that teaches individuals how to play an active role in their financial well-being. Developing this knowledge increases life opportunities such as home ownership, higher education, and secure retirement while contributing to the economic resiliency of individuals, families, and our shared communities.
The Financial Beginnings mission is to empower youth and adults to take control of their financial futures. FBUSA fulfills this mission through its affiliate model, extending programming to more communities via local, on-the-ground teams. These statewide affiliate teams, along with their volunteer networks, deliver FBUSA financial education programming that is continually tested, revised, and improved to ensure mission alignment and participant impact. Currently, two affiliates are well-established in Oregon and Washington; two new chapter offices opened in California and Nebraska in 2020.
Fianncial Beginnings USA seeks a Marketing and Communications Director to oversee FBUSA's national marketing and communications efforts. This dynamic team member will be passionate about the organization's mission and will play a key role in developing and implementing marketing strategies that align with broader organizational goals. Although the Marketing and Communications Director leverages all types of media touchpoints to enhance the FBUSA brand, this role requires significant knowledge of and previous experience working with digital channels and platforms, including email marketing, social media (paid and organic), paid search, web analytics, and content management systems. The Director should be able to work fluidly across typical marketing communications functions, developing both paid (advertising) and earned (public relations) cross-functional plans.
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer (COO), the Marketing and Communications Director is a relationship builder who personifies the image and brand of Financial Beginnings and can effectively communicate with a wide variety of organizations, including large media companies, state and national agencies, nonprofits, foundations, schools, financial professionals, and business leaders. The Director oversees and manages the work of other marketing staff and contractors, ensuring marketing initiatives are successfully delivered and other departments are effectively supported.
FBUSA's team is quickly expanding amidst changing market conditions; new team members should be able and willing to adapt to change and help where needed.
- Direct all marketing and communications efforts.
- Develop and execute annual marketing and comms plans to help achieve organizational goals.
- Develop strategy and tactics to drive web traffic and engagement that results in converted lead generation.
- Provide creative and messaging direction to marketing staff.
- Work across teams to help drive income from sources such as sponsorship and licensing.
- Work with staff, consultants, and contractors to manage the production of events and special projects.
- Work with staff to develop editorial calendars that guide the production of content that ultimately cultivates and engages online communities across all of Financial Beginnings' digital properties.
- Cultivate relationships with partners and so-called "influentials" in the finance and education sectors while overseeing national public relations efforts.
- Oversee Financial Beginnings' Google Grants AdWords account to ensure monthly compliance and optimization.
- Ensure new affiliate offices have necessary materials for effective market launches and ongoing outreach efforts.
- Ensure departments and affiliate teams are complying with FBUSA branding guidelines and mandates.
- Monitor all marketing and communications plans, developing monthly reports submitted to the COO.
- Familiarize oneself with the organization, its affiliates, and the Employee Handbook.
- Get to know fellow staff members, developing trust, establishing credibility, encouraging collaboration, and creating a tone of open, honest, two-way communication.
- Keep up to date on financial and personal finance education trends and share with the team.
- Communicate and collaborate seamlessly in both face-to-face and digital (online) interactions.
- Complete additional duties as assigned to assist with ongoing expansion and growth initiatives.
Skills, Education, and Qualifications
- Advanced degree (preferred, but not required) in marketing- or communications-related field/discipline or commensurate professional experience in lieu of college degree(s).
- 7+ years of experience in marketing, public relations, and/or advertising, with at least one year experience in a director's role.
- Track record of playing an instrumental part in an organization's achievement of marketing and communications goals/objectives.
- Strong marketing communications experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and audiences.
- Significant digital marketing experience and demonstrated effectivess.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Proven track record of professionalism, working well with others, and adapting to changes.
- Ability to analyze data and draw conclusions necessary to support marketing plans.
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse populations.
- High integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed.
- Self-motivated, resourceful, and willing and able to work independently on multiple tasks simultaneously.
Special Requirements and Preferences
- Ability to provide constructive feedback and inspire better work.
- Ability to identify and pursue relevant projects and tasks without explicit direction.
- Comfortable collaborating online and/or working remotely.
- Willingness to help team members complete projects however is needed.
- Recognition of education's value and a passion for improving communities and serving populations in need.
- Understanding of personal finance fundamentals preferred, but not required.
Status and Compensation
- Compensation: $60,000-$90,000 depending on experience
- Full-time: Exempt
- Location: Portland, Oregon (remote candidates will be considered depending on requisite position skills and experience)
- Schedule: Monday through Friday, occasional need for event and/or weekend meetings or events
- Travel: Up to 10%; more if located outside of Portland, OR
- Physical strength: Light
- PTO: 27 days, which includes all personal, vacation, holiday, and sick time
- Computer and phone allotments
- Retirement savings: 6% employer matched 401(k)
- Insurance: 100% paid health and dental for employee
Due to COVID-19, Financial Beginnings staff and teams currently work 100% remotely. When conditions permit, employees will return to pre-COVID working arrangements, wherein certain staff will be required to work in the Financial Beginnings office for a predetermined portion of the work week. This requirement applies to Financial Beginnings USA staff that reside in the Portland, OR metro area.
How to Apply
Complete the screening questions and upload your cover letter and resume as a PDF (no other file format will be accepted). Only complete applications will be reviewed. Demonstration of requisite skills of the position may be asked of finalist candidates.
Financial Beginnings USA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.